Saturday, February 26, 2011

Citra, Citra, Citra

While it is still fresh on my mind and palate, I want to start my beer adventures in Kernville at Kern River Brewing Company. Austin and I have become well aquatinted with this small mountain town, about 45 minutes east of Bakersfield. We have successfully made the trek up there for the past four Citra releases.  Usually, we make a long weekend out of the trip and camp along the rivers edge in an undeveloped beach site. A forest ranger suggested the site on our first trip there, which happened to be during one of the largest fires of the year. The road opened to the public an hour before our arrival and we lucked out on very private spot and a great view of the helicopters dipping into the river for water to put the fire out. Quite a site!
Back to the real reason for our trip, not just the amazing mountain views or gorgeous river, it's all about Citra. The brewery only release of their Double IPA, appropriately named Citra, is brewed with the hop variety Citra. The citrus aroma is just as intense and delicious as it taste. I put my carsickness and fear of heights behind me for this! I will drive the long and windy mountain road any weekend for a fresh pint of Citra.
Our last two trips have consisted of staying at the local quirky hotel closest to the brewery. While we would assume setting up camp next to the river, the last few visits the weather has deterred us and The McCambride Lodge is the next best thing. The hotel defines what I envision as being the 80's. I am not quiet sure if the carpet is brown or green? The floral curtains match the throw pillows but are a direct contrast to the striped comforter. The television and the bowl full of candy have not changed at all since 1987. But it is very comfortable, they let Frank, the dog, stay for free and it is the only place in town with a river view. Not too shabby, except for the carpet (oh yeah, that's shag, whatever!)


Our most recent trip was during the annual Whisky Flats Festival. I was instructed by the motel owner to bring my corset, long skirt, and shawl to properly dress like a prostitute for the festival. Fortunately, I own none of those things and therefore had an excuse for not dressing the part. We did managed to walk down to the main square for the Whisky Flat Parade. I was more than ready for a beer after watching the unusually long parade for such a small town, which featured a western 'shoot out'. Thankfully the brewery anticipated the need for alcohol and opened an hour early for the weekend festivities. I also finally got to try Class X, which is Class V stout aged in bourbon barrels, and was even better than I anticipated.


We had one growler of Citra left in the refrigerator and decided to take it to the Clusterfork event today. The one time we are not in hurry, there was no traffic in LA and we made it to Orange County in 35 minutes. A bit earlier than we planned! We managed to the circle the town and twenty antique shops of Orange City twice before the Bruery Provisions opened. I have decided to stay out of the antique shops due to our last visit where I clumsily knocked a glass off of a cluttered table and was practically run out of the store. Opps! (We hadn't even started drinking). Then it was off to the main event at the actual brewery, The Bruery. For some reason we weren't on the list but Austin was one step ahead and printed out the tickets. After a few minutes of Patrick, the owner, looking over his list and our tickets, he waved us through.  I always forget how manly beer events are until I arrive to one. Sure there are girls, but they are few compared to the sea of overweight, bearded men in brewery t-shirts. I am surprised the place doesn't smell worse, all of those dudes drinking beer, eating meat, and farting. I got to drink plenty of Barrel Aged Two Turtle Doves, try the surprisingly delicious Cornballer Malt Liquor, and the bottle share was pretty good. It helped to keep the lines down because people were more interested in who brought what, instead of what was being poured by The Bruery. I am happy to say that the only line was to the bathroom, and well...I was expecting a line somewhere, so I guess the bathroom will do.
I am off to prepare for my first front of the house employee meeting as manager tomorrow morning. I am definitely going to need a beer for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment